Before I tell you more about The OR Lounge, I would like to ask you a few questions.
- Have you ever felt like your business or territory is running you?
- Are you always busy, but never feel productive?
- Would you like more time in the day?
Like many professionals, you probably have a limited amount of time to sell each day. I believe to make the best use of your time you need two things, a true commitment to change and a better understanding some of the challenges.
If you’re familiar with Steven Covey’s classic book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, you may remember his distinction between urgent and important tasks as outlined in the chart below.
One of the biggest challenges is how to focus on important and urgent tasks without letting the not urgent and not important tasks get in the way.
Here are a few time management tips that have worked for me.
1. Assess overwhelming tasks – The first thing you should do when you have an overwhelming task is to break down into a smaller manageable to-do list. You can then determine priorities, how you’re going to handle them, when you’re going to handle them, and who can help you handle them.
2. Learn from others experiences – Don’t reinvent the wheel. Navigate around failure by learning from other medical device sales professionals. By discussing common topics with a group of colleagues, everyone will be able to share his or her experience and pass the knowledge on to prevent and minimize wasted time.
3. Just say “No” – Learn to say no more often. We often have trouble saying no because you may believe you will hurt someone’s feelings and they will not like you anymore. For sales professionals we know that is not a great way to establish relationships, and hesitate at saying no.
Take a chance and give these tips a try for an hour, a day, then a week. You’ll be amazed at the enormous amount of time you’ll save.
I hope this was helpful. If you want to read more tips, check out The OR Lounge,